Sunday, September 25, 2011

My Squash Runneth Over!

This year I had Keith build me a raised bed garden planter. I was very excited to start getting into gardening. We have planted tomatoes and a few other things in the past, and we even had a gardening plot back when we lived in Salt Lake. Now we have more room and so we are hoping to learn how to have a successful garden. We have been working on our compost for a few years, so I was excited to use that in the garden bed. So far I have enjoyed it and I definitely learned a few things. I started all my plants from seed inside the house. My beans were doing amazingly well until I transferred them out and the wind took its toll. I had a lot of carrots, but we went on vacation and they did not quite survive. My bell peppers have been doing really well and we are still getting a lot of peppers. The greatest crop has been the squash, which I like to refer to as the great squash miracle. Why, well because I did not plant any squash! I am not sure where those two plants came from but they were quite prolific and pretty much took over the garden. They ended up taking up an area of about 4 feet by 6 feet and completely encroached on the watermelons. If only the rest of my crops could have grown that well, I guess maybe we will have better luck next year. I am really looking forward to learning some more and perhaps even taking some classes so I can improve my skills.


No comments:

 

These Are the Days | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates