Saturday, April 11, 2009

I DID IT!!!!!

Today I accomplished one of my lifetime goals and it felt so amazing! I did my first triathlon. Several months ago my friend Delane asked if I wanted to train with her. I quickly agreed, although I feel badly for her because she is SUPER fit and I was more like a deadweight to her. But she was very gracious and patient in helping me train. So I trained for a couple of months. I owe a big thanks to Ingrid and Melissa N. who watched my kiddos for me. This triathlon was a 5K run, 25K bike and 400 meter swim (16 laps). I went with the goal to just finish and not embarrass myself. Last night I went to bed early with the intention of getting a good night's rest. Ella woke up at 2 am to nurse and I realized there was a huge rainstorm out, not good. Then at 4 am Caleb came in to tell me that Lauren had thrown up, also not good. So I took care of her. I finally got up at 6 am to get ready and head out. Of course it was pouring rain and freezing. We got our gear set up and I could tell there were some serious athletes in this event. Their bikes and equipment cost more than my car! We started off with the run and it was raining, then it started to pour. I was drenched by the time I got on the bike. The bike ride was awesome but I was frozen! It was actually so cold that the rain turned to snow a few times. I was so drenched that the wind just chilled me to the bone. I got off the bike to transition to the swim and my fingers were so numb I couldn't get my helmet off. I finally got it off on my last attempt. I ran to the pool and swam two laps before the feeling in my hands returned. I finished the swim and hopped out to my waiting family and friend. I was so tired and frozen, my lips were literally blue and my body shook from the cold for 20 minutes. But I finished and it was the most incredible feeling!

A very unflattering picture of myself. Keith snapped it right as I got out of the pool. it captures how happy I felt that I had accomplished my goal.
A huge Congrats to Delane who finished 4th in our age group, she is amazing!


18 comments:

Hi I'm Lindsey! said...

YEAH!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I was thinking about you today and I meant to call you, but didn't:(. Good job! That sounds like quite the experience. How awesome! I didn't get a chance to talk to you much at the shower, but you look great! I meant to tell you. I'm sure you feel great too, which is the most important thing. Well, I'll see you tomorrow at church. Happy Easter!

Mandy said...

Woo Hoo!!!! You go girl!

mama_pj said...

WooHoo, You did it! You are amazing and I am very proud of you!
Thank you so much for the gratitude pillow-I love it and it has found a prominent home on my bed. :)
Congratulations on reaching your goal-you are my hero!

Jana and Mario said...

Pamela, you are awesome! Congratulations on such a great accomplishment.

gina said...

That is so awesome Pamela - I am VERY VERY impressed- and want you to train me someday! It made me cold just reading about it. Watch out - I hear triaths. can be addicting!

DA & J said...

What an accompishment! Doing a Triathlon is also one of my goals too.

Summers Family said...

That is my next goal! That is so awesome that you did a triathalon! How was training for the swimming, that is where I am weak. You are so awesome!!!!
Once again you "got" to do what I want to do. Will I always be following in your footsteps? I sure hope so, that way I know I am going in right direction!
I love you!

Lorilee said...

Pamela I cried as I read your experience. Way to go! I mean it! Congratulations! That is quite the accomplishment, and with not such a great start of your morning. I am soooo proud of you. by the way, I think you look quite amazing right after finishing your triathalon. I wish I could have been there to support you. Perhaps someday.

Kim L. said...

You are my hero! Congrats! And woman, you look amazing. I covet your hot post baby #4 bod.

Hilary Brock said...

That is really cool! way to go.

Melissa said...

Wow! Way to go! Not only did you complete the race, you did it in terrible conditions... you're one tough lady!! So, what's next? :)

Liz said...

Pamela, that is so great. Grinning from ear to ear for you in Iowa.

The White House said...

Way to go super mum, you are a huge inspiration to me:)

David and Muffin said...

Dear friend, I can't tell you how proud of you I am. You did an amazing job...mother of 4, and with everything else on your plate, you not only did very well but accomplished a huge goal. I had no doubts you'd fall short. And by the way, you never dragged me down, it was a pleasure to train with you. Are you ready for Soccorro??

jamirodana said...

Good job Pam!
I have thought about it. I swim so much, I might as well run a little and bike. :)
I can't buy a bike though.

My Voice Marshfield said...

You are so amazing! AWESOME! Great work!

Maile Fano said...

good job! I want to train for one next year or sooner. Isn't it amazing the feeling of accomplishment after you are done?!

EBD said...

Wow! Congratulations! What a neat thing to do - even after a crazy night with the kids and a freezing cold day. You continue to amaze me.

 

These Are the Days | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates