Monday, August 13, 2012

First Day of School-The one in Which I Act Like a Frenzied Drill Sargent

Today will not go down in the books as one of my greatest Mothering Moments.  In fact, it will be added to the long list of my "Moments I hope my kids will never remember"!  Since we stayed longer on our vacation, it put me a week behind when we got got back and ever since I have been trying to catch up.  Needless to say my stress level has been a bit high! 
 I started the day with good intentions, but it went downhill from there.  I got up at 6:45 am so I could be ready and make the kids fresh waffles.  I woke everybody up in plenty of time so we wouldn't have to rush.  I had the backpacks and lunches ready the night before.  I went downstairs to start making breakfast.  All of the kids but one came down to eat and we were right on track.  I kept calling up to this child to come and eat.  Finally they did, but at this point we were a bit behind.  I quickly took pictures of the other kids, our annual 1st day tradition.  Then, the tardy child informed me their pants were too big, sigh!  I rushed upstairs and found another pair that fit and quickly snapped some pictures.  We loaded in the van and headed out 15 minutes later than I wanted to.  We weren't late but definitely did not have enough time to drop off all the kids and get pictures with their teacher like I had planned. At this point, my stress level was quite high and I was feeling anxious. We got to the school and had to flip around to pull in "correctly" into the lot.  The kids were calling out the me to grab certain parking spots.  I snapped back at them saying, "Don't tell me how to drive!"  Luckily we found a spot and unloaded all the kids and filled the wagon with six bags of school supplies (I had wanted to have them ready for Meet the Teacher Day but it didn't happen).  Luckily, Keith was there to help me out.  We rush up to Eli's classroom and drop off his supplies, his class is out in the Courtyard lining up.  I wanted to talk to his teacher, snap a picture and giver her some paperwork so I figured we would come back in a bit. My stress level increased.  Next we rushed down to Caleb's class and this was where it went from bad to worse.  I handed over his supplies and paperwork, and snapped some pictures.  Then I told him to find out where to line up so we could go onto Lauren's class.  He went back into the room to ask and the rest of us went into the hall.  We waited a bit then I peeked in to see what was going on.  I saw him talking to his friend and assumed he was messing around. I opened the door and barked at him like some kind of frenzied Drill Sargent asking him if he had found out where to go.  He looked at me and I grabbed his arm and said, "Come on let's go we are in a hurry!!!!" His teacher comes over and super calm and polite says, "He did ask me where to go and I told him or that he could wait with me and I would walk out with him.  He asked a very good question."  Translation:  Stop acting like a lunatic you mean mom!  So by this point my stress level is sky high and I feel terrible for being to impatient.  So we rush down to Lauren's class and drop off her supplies.  The bell rings and we go out to the Courtyard to hopefully catch Eli's class before they go in.   Then I realize I did not get a picture of Lauren.  I see that we already missed Eli's class so I rush behind Lauren's class while they go inside, snap a quick picture then rush back out to Eli waiting with Keith and the little girls.  We take Eli into his class I hand over my paperwork, ask my questions and snap a few quick shots.  Then we headed home, my stress level dissolved a bit, but mostly I was left feeling so guilty for being so stressed and impatient.  I had really wanted to send them off with loves and well wishes, instead they got a grouchy mom.  Thankfully Keith was calm and loving so he balanced out my craziness.  Hopefully I can learn my lesson and redeem myself next year!





Lauren and Mrs. Robertson

Mrs. Garcia and Caleb

Eli and Mrs. Blea

2 comments:

mama_pj said...

You are such a loving and patient mother. Your kids are very blessed that you are their mom.
The pictures turned out great...with no sign of distress.
:)

Cheri said...

They are sure starting their school early. It thought Bryson and Zoela's was starting early and it is on the 21st of this month. It relieves me to know that you are human Pamela, and that you have stress days just like me.

 

These Are the Days | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates