Right after Ella turned two she decided that she wanted to potty train. She woke up one day, looked at me and said, "I want to go on the potty." A bit surprised I tracked down the potty seat and put it on the toilet for her. She took off her clothes, all of them, got up on the potty and went. Now most mothers would be ecstatic that their two year old is training herself, however I am the exception to the rule. Sure it is nice not to have to buy diapers, but I am already changing Naomi's diapers so another one is no big deal. The real reason I am not jumping for joy is that a potty trained toddler equals stress. Inevitably the following situations occur:
1. You are right in the middle of the check out line with a cart full of groceries and you child announces they have to go potty. Of course they wait until the LAST second to tell you so you have to make mad dash to the restroom in the BACK of the store!
2. You know you are leaving the house so you make sure that everyone goes to the bathroom. Then you pile in the car, buckle all the car seats (a 10 minute ordeal), start to back out of the driveway and your toddler announces they have to go potty.
3. The ONE time you forget to bring a change of clothes and underwear your toddler has an accident.
4. Your child now has a legitimate excuse for getting out of their bed at night and boy do they exploit it.
Of course another reason I am not over the moon is hat I have a newborn so I am not able to help Ella whenever she needs it. So for now I am not encouraging her new found bathroom desire.
-------------------
I love the photo of Ella. She went through a swimsuit phase and insisted upon wearing it everywhere, usually over her clothes. I especially like how she accessorized with the Mrs Potato Head earrings!
1 comment:
I knew I recognized those earrings belonging to Mrs. Potato head. That is one of the cutest swimming suits I have ever seen. Of course I am partial to anything dealing with watermelons. I completely understand not being thrilled with a potty trainer. They sure keep you on your toes and make you want to remain a hermit until things stabilize a bit more.
Post a Comment