Sunday, September 26, 2010

Business and Pleasure

Every year Keith gets invited to a Conference in Vermont. I have always wanted to go but it never quite worked out. This year we decided to make it happen. My parents were so kind and watched the four oldest kids for us. The trip was amazing, a much needed rest, and I fell in love with all things New England. The leaves were changing and it was absolutely gorgeous! The towns are so quaint and pastoral with red barns, farms and white steepled churches.



While Keith was at his conference during the day, I went out and explored the area

Of course, being the lover of ice cream that I am I had to tour the Ben and Jerry's plant. It was really neat to learn the history of the company and sample ice cream at the end. When I found out there is a job position entirely devoted to tasting the ice cream for quality assurance I decided that we should definitely move to Vermont so I could get that job. Not to mention that employees get to take home 3 pints everyday. Since I consume large amounts of ice cream think of all the money it would save us! Really, it is the fiscally responsible thing to do!


After the Ben and Jerry's tour I decided I might as well tour the Chocolate factory, yes it was a really rough day for me. We got to taste all different kinds of chocolates, so yummy!


One evening we went out by Lake Champlain. We had dinner, took a walk and enjoyed the beautiful boats out sailing.


Boy I love that man!
He packed Naomi around everywhere. Apparently newborns are not common there because we got stopped by people everywhere we went. Naomi was a dream on the 6 hour plane ride and didn't let out a peep.


One day I went out to Shelburne Farms. It was absolutely amazing! It is this restored, working farm that was originally built in the early 1900's. The original owners, The Webb's were wealthy New York aristocrats and built the farm as a Summer getaway. They were also very progressive and wanted the farm to be a place of education and culture as well. I took a guided tour of the farm and I was so impressed. They have maintained the the original grounds and goals of the first owners. They practice green farming techniques, they still make artisan cheese and breads, raise animals and they have these increddible education programs for children. I got to taste the different cheese varieties, delicious!
The picture above is the home, which is now a hotel and restaurant. They cook meals from fresh produce from the garden they maintain.


The grounds are beautiful, there is an amazing English garden. In fact it was so peaceful that I wanted to just sit in one of the chairs and enjoy the view of Lake Champlain. The whole experience was so impressive that I was ready to give up the city life and move onto a farm.


One night we took the Ferry across the Lake to New York. We had dinner in Plattsburgh and then drove down the New York side of the lake and took the south Ferry back to the other side.



On our last day we went to the birth place of Joseph Smith, it was one of the most beautiful and peaceful places I have been. The moment you drive onto the ground you feel the sacredness of the place. We toured the visitors center, saw the monument and walked the grounds. It was so beautiful and I am glad that we were able to go. It just reaffirmed my testimony of Joseph Smith and that he is a prophet of God.


The monument


We flew out of Manchester, New Hampshire. In order to get there we drove across the whole state of Vermont and across New Hampshire. It was such a beautiful drive and it allowed us to see more of the area. I am definitely a fan of New England in the Fall! It was a really amazing trip, it was so relaxing for me I came home feeling rejuvenated.

1 comment:

Cheri said...

You make it sound absolutely wonderful and make me want to hop on a plane and fly out there also. The pictures of course added to that sensation, it is a beautiful area. I am so glad you had such a nice trip. I am thinking seriously about that position at Ben and Jerry's. I might beat you to it.

 

These Are the Days | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates