So this is the type of cart my kids always want me to pick. But man, pushing that thing with three kids is like driving a Winnebago!So I really love to grocery shop. Perhaps it is closely linked to the fact that I love to eat! But that is a whole different blog entry. So my love of grocery shopping combine with my love of bargains makes an exciting trip to the grocery store for me. It seems like since I moved here I have spent a lot more on groceries. I don't know if prices have gone up that much or just my spending :) I have been trying to feed all five of us and buy food storage items for around $350 a month. Is that a lot? Not very much? My friends here seem to think that it is pretty frugal, but it still seems like a lot to me. So I want to know out there my friends, if you are willing to share, how much do usually end up spending on groceries a month. Leave me a comment or send me an email if you prefer. I really want to hear your input. And, if you have any great grocery coupons sites let me know!
Ok here is something fun. I have canvas, reusable bags that I always take to the grocery store for my purchases. You get a bag credit and it helps the earth. So Kroger Chains (Smiths, Vons, etc.. ) is having a contest. You go to their website at http://www.kroger.com/Pages/default.aspx
and you can design your own bag. The winners will get a prize and just for submitting a design they will give you a free bag! So if you need a little incentive to be more green, here is your chance.
8 comments:
O.k., you must read "French Women don't get Fat" by Mireille something or other. It made me feel justified in how much i spend. I shoot for 350 too but it is rare if i can get all my groceries and misc for that much. I am still stabilizing--but i must have fresh fruit and coupon shopping just doesn't work the same here as it did in SLC. I admit, when we got 600 a month for our food stamps i could easily spend it all--food storage, fresh fruit, decent cheese and yogurt ...i love grocery shopping too.
Hello, I'm Keith's friend from Uni. I enjoy reading about your little family and felt I had to reply to your post today.
I think your grocery budget is extremely frugal although, I'll admit, living in England is far more expensive than the states. I spend £100 on shopping a week which is equivilant to $200. This does not include food storage which is purchased seperately at £40 a month. Needless to say I'm behind on my food storage.
If you bring your own bags, you are given 8 pence back per bag on your shopping bill and it is an extremely popular option here. I have my own shopping bags and prefer them as their stronger and I'm less likely to get a tear in the bag. All said and done, I'd say using reusable shopping bags, while being enviromentally friendly, is an excellent way to save a few pence on the shopping and it all adds up in the end!
I hear you on spending more on groceries since you moved. Honestly, in Utah I would spend about $200 a month and that would feed us. I don't buy a lot of snacks and premade foods, not for budgetary reasons, I just don't like it around. Also, though, we were on WIC in Utah so that $200 doesn't include milk and cheese.
Since I moved to Texas, I've been shocked at my grocery bills. A minimum of $400-500 for the first few months until I really clamped down because that is just ridiculous. First off, my kids barely eat anything, so what's the deal? I didn't think things were that much more expensive here, although milk and cheese prices have shot through the roof. Lately, I've been going about every other week (I spend more if I go more often) and spend about $150 each time.
Ahh, the plight of the stay at home mom...budget in food! Kurt and I would spend at least 500 a month on groceries in Louisiana, easy. Groceries in Utah, including MILK, is thankfully cheaper! Yeah, we are back in the beehive state. We needed to be closer to family. Secretly, I think we will move out of state again, we loved Lake Charles so very much and miss the friends we made there tremendously! Did everyone know that Kate and Robbie had their little boy this week? I adore blogs, please keep in touch.
Julie Church
We too spend about $500 a month. But hey, I have three growing boys and let me tell you, ever since Austin and Taylor got their feeding tubes taken out they have been catching up for time lost in the eating department!! You gotta love it!!
Yes Pamela it is challenging to feed your kids for less seeing as you have Tracey boys. I don't know if you remember or not but the original Tracey boys together used to be able to eat the entire grocery story out of house and home in one week!! I too am finding that I can't feed everyone for the same amount that we could in Utah. We are at about 400-500 a month!! It is insane!! SO if you find any secret ways to save, let me know too!!
I too have 2 'Tracey boy' appetites at my home! Jacob can eat so much it is incredible! He regularly eats more than I do and he is only 1... Mario can also put the groceries down. Luckily we have food stamps here and WIC so that is awesome. We spend about $500 a month plus WIC. But I must admit, we have built up our food storage substantially at the same time.
Hugh and I spend that much for the two of us but I do buy a lot of our food a whole foods and buy mostly organic. Also we only eat out about once a month so I cook a lot and make my lunch every day. When I go shopping 80% of my cart is filled with fruits and veggies which is the most expensive part.
Post a Comment