Thursday, September 17, 2009

District Court or Bust!


The othjer day I found this little suprise when I got the mail. Jury Duty I mused, that could be interesting. I read the letter with all the details outlined and saw that I would have to be available all day for three weeks. Now that could be a little tricky with four small kids. So I called to find out if I could get excused. The receptionist kindly informed me, No. But, I could get an extension for 6 months to enable me to find childcare. I began to feel a little stressed trying to figure out how I would work out all the logistics with the kiddos. As I read more the whole prospect of jury duty wasn't looking too badly. First, I get paid. Be it only $7.50 an hour, but that is still a huge raise over my current pay of $0 an hour. Second, they pay my mileage to and from the courthouse. Third they provide lunch. What, three weeks of lunches that I don't have to prepare on dishes that I don't have to wash! This jury duty is looking better and better. Fourth, the thought of being on a jury is slightly exciting. It is District Court so it would be a big case. I would get to sit as a judge of my peers, hearing the arguments and deciding their fate based on the evidence. Definitely a bit more exciting than driving the preschool carpool and grocery shopping. Ok so maybe I have read too many John Grisham novels. In the end I wrote a funny little letter ( I hope they appreciated my humor) describing my current situation of having four little kids and needing time to get childcare. They granted my request, March 2010 here I come!

7 comments:

Mandy said...

Stay at home mom in suburbia with a large family? They'll cut you from the jury line up first! At least, that's what I would think. But who knows? Sounds exciting, though. Oh the things that sound exciting after being at home with munchkins all day...

Summers Family said...

I start on Monday, for two weeks. I am trying to get in touch with someone who can be more specific as to which day and for how long. Finding someone to not just watch, but drive my kids around will not be easy. I am hoping Michael doesn't have to take time off.
I hope it is as exciting (but very short) and you seem to think it will be.

Emmy Bludorn said...

I was on jury duty in SLC and enjoyed it. It's pathetic, but the pay was a very exciting point for me as well. Luckily, I had my mom and sisters around so childcare was fairly easy.
Also pathetic was that I actually had a little feeling of importance getting up each day and having somewhere to go where other adults would be and I would have a task to perform. I felt like an adult with freedom.
I was selected for the jury; it was a medical malpractice case, no big deal, but I enjoyed it.

Lorilee said...

Wow! That is great that they are working for you. Perhaps you will have it all ready to go by March. Good luck with that.

gina said...

Oh... the things we do for a little excitement! I'm laughing how the free lunch thing perked your interest.


I have never once been called for jury duty! 3 weeks! That would be hard to wrangle.

Nicholas said...

Pam, you make me laugh. So, I totally just reported to Jury Duty about two weeks ago. It was actually pretty interesting, I kind of enjoyed it. Good luck.

Nicholas said...

p.s. when they ask you what magazines you read, tell them church ones. It seemed to work, the three of us that said that were released during the whole process. Too funny. What, don't they want people with morals on the jury line up? Apparently not...

 

These Are the Days | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates