We are true New Mexicans now, we roasted our own green chili. New Mexico is famous for their green chili. They have varieties that are only grown here and are considered the best chili in the world. If you have ever eaten at Cafe Rio, they use New Mexico Chili. I have to admit the chili is good! This year a friend of ours gave us a huge bag of chili that he got while in Southern New Mexico. We roasted it up on the grill and in the oven. It is yummy!
On another Native New Mexican note, we ate at El Pinto the other night. It is a local restaurant with the most beautiful patio's and gardens. It is a local favorite and if anyone famous or important comes to town they eat there. Some friends were in town so of course we had to go there to eat. Keith's friend Don was in town with his new wife Nicole, new as in they got married five days before we had dinner with them. Don and Keith met their first semester of the Engineering program. They became great friends and spent the whole five years teasing and harassing each other. Keith would tease Don about being single and Don would heckle Keith about being married, it was a perfect match. Don recently married the delightful Nicole and we are so happy for them.

6 comments:
Well I am glad to ehar that you are officail New Mexicans. When I read that it was official, I have to be honest. I thought that you were making an announcement and I was loving it! Well you did make the announcement, just not the baby one I was leaning towards. Hooray for you and your green chili. It sure looks and sounds yummy.
El Pintos is so good - I love that place! We have not yet ventured into green chili roasting territory yet; perhaps you can give us some pointers next year... I think I'll be ready to become "official" by then :)
That looks so fun! Old friends are awesome.
As for green chilis initiation ceremony - who knew?
First green chili, next sombreros and castanets! You look like you are having a great time!ummmmm...enjoy that chili. Love you!
Texas gets into the New Mexico green chile harvest every year as well. I looked forward to that time while we were there. One of our favorite restaurants would create an entire new menu around the Hatch green chile - employees from all their locations and all departments would submit recipes that were featured. I think there was even a green chile festival.
The grocery stores would be grilling them out front and would have tons and tons of them inside. I made some chile rellanos the first year we were there. Enjoy them for us!
Sweet Pamela, I was looking through my mission pictures today and so many amazing memories came flooding back. I don't think I ever really told you how wonderful you were as a missionary. If I did I am reminding you. I have watch..through the blog you raise a righteous family and I am blessed to know you. Pamela you love people so easily. Thank you for your constant example. Thank you for being a companion and friend. Love ya
Post a Comment