Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Balloon Fiesta

No matter how long you have lived in Albuquerque, the International Balloon Fiesta never gets old! Each year I am still excited to see the balloons. There is just something magical about it! This year was no different. We went for Caleb's birthday. We stayed the night a saw the Special Shapes Glow. The special shapes are so amazing. Darth Vader and the Space Shuttle were the favorites this year. Then got up the next morning to see the special shapes take off and the key grab. The Key grab has become one of my favorite events. Normally the balloons take off from the field. It is neat because you can walk around the field right in the middle of the balloons. You can even volunteer to help one of the crews if you want. Well the key grab is different. The balloons take off from a remote location and fly into the field. There is a big target and they try and fly as close as possible to drop a little marker on the target and he closest one wins. At the end of the field are these tall poles with keys on them. One opens a brand new car. So the balloons fly by as close as possible to try and grab the key. It is so cool to be standing in the field and have all the balloons come in! Here are some pictures of the highlights:

The balloons flying over the target to drop their marker

Here comes the sun
The sky in Albuquerque is a beautiful blue like this almost every day of the year


Magical sight



I love the pig, I call this one "The Swine Flew"



Ella has decided to walk like she is flying. She puts her arms in back and runs around. It is too cute!




Special Shapes glow





I found Nemo





Getting the balloon ready to get up






Like father like daughter







Enjoying some health food
Each kid got to pick one treat. Believe me, there was no lack of yummy food to choose from.







What do you do when you get to the Balloon Fiesta and realize your son has no shoes and there is nowhere to buy some? You get creative and make some out of cardboard and duct tape. They worked fabulous! Perhaps I will start a new trend!







Starting off our little adventure. I am not to sure I trust the driver!












10 comments:

Mandy said...

Love it! I am so sad we missed it.

Summers Family said...

How did he not have shoes?
My inlaws just moved to Durango Co (from Hawaii) and they came down for the fiesta and loved it. maybe we will join them next year!

Andrea and Nate Tracey said...

I have found myself in the same situation before, but I was not nearly so creative!! I love it! Which son? Looks like you guys had a good time!

mama_pj said...

Allen and I want to try to make the balloon fiesta next year. It will be soooo fun! XO

DA & J said...

Do you carry around duct tape with you? That is very creative for shoes! I love the ballons also. We went to the balloon glow and loved it! Next year, we hope to see a mass ascension.

Evans Family said...

Beautiful pictures! I love the duct tape...and please add us to your invite list! (mkevansfamily at gmail dot com)

Liz said...

Cardboard duct tape shoes . . . I love it.

Hilary Brock said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hilary Brock said...

OK, the shoes made me laugh really hard. I know it was either Keith or Dad that was responsible for that. Both of them probably carry around duct tape just in case they need to cobble some shoes in a jiffy . I think Jimmy Choo has a new duct tape line for the fall;)

EBD said...

Such great pictures! Maybe one of these years we'll drive down for this - it really looks so neat.

I also loved the homemade shoes! Very ingenious. Dan would be proud that you used duct tape - man's best friend!

Also, PLEASE add me to your private blog.

 

These Are the Days | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates