So I have been rethinking my original career choice as a teacher. Currently I don't need a career since I already have a full time job, supper busy mom. I have decided that if I ever do need to go back to work I am going to be a telephone repair woman. Now at this point you are probably thinking I have gone a little crazy, but recent events have convinced me that this is the job for me. When we had our crazy hail storm it knocked our phone out for three days. The repairman came to check it out. He determined that it was not on the phone company's end and that it was with one of the phone lines on our property, which means they won't fix it unless you have their repair service plan, which we don't. Luckily he was really nice and checked out all of our phone jacks and our outdoor wiring. He even replace a section of line that looked bad, but it still did not fix the problem. He spent over an hour trying to figure it out. He was supposed to charge me for doing all that work, luckily he didn't. He told me that we could try and fix it or hire a repairman to do it. I innocently asked, how much do they charge. He replies, "$100 an hour." Well after I picked my jaw up from the floor, I told him that my husband would be happy to try and fix it! He showed me the most likely spot, how to fix it and even gave me a ton of phone wire to use. Keith asked me why the guy was so nice. Believe me, it was not because I was looking so great. I was wearing some frumpy khakis, a t-shirt and my hair was in a pony tail. Which, I might add, is a perfectly acceptable outfit for a day spent waiting for the telephone repairman to show up, changing poopy diapers and driving the afternoon carpool in my minivan! Luckily Keith came home, fixed the broken section, rewired and voila we have phone again. Seeing how fairly easy it was to do and with no schooling required, paying $100 an hour, this is the career for me! Anybody have some phone line I can practice on?
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I can see that Keith dressed up to repair the phone. He must be trying for a tip!
That's insane! Where do I sign up? Let's go into business together. :)
Wow! $100/hour?! I'll do it too. I am very interested in your coupon tips. My email is idahomeetsphilly@yahoo.com. Looks like your trip to Newport Beach was fun. We used to live in Costa Mesa, just next door to Newport. We always felt a little out of place driving our lowly Kia.
I just had the heater guy come over because we are not handy like Keith. Ten minutes later he got it to work and said he could not find any problem. $190 later I though I was in the wrong business also.
Post a Comment