Friday, January 16, 2009

New Eyeballs

Well, I decided to go under the knife, or laser now to be more precise. I got LASIK! The whole procedure was very fascinating and a bit stressful. I did not realize how much it would freak you out to have some one poking and doing all sorts of weird things to your eye. It is especially weird because you are awake the whole time and seeing the whole thing! They give you a Valium to take so that you are nice and relaxed, however I am nursing so I opted not to take it. Word to those out there who may have LASIK in the future, TAKE the Valium! I am a very mellow person, but it was fairly nerve racking. I definitely got some good use out of the stress balls they gave me to squeeze. I do have to say it was all worth it for perfect vision. Too bad I am going to have to sell one of my kidney's to pay for it. The day before Caleb said to me, "Mom after you get your new eyeballs maybe you can come home and play with me." I love that kid.


Me sleeping in my cool eye shield. You cannot rub your eyes at all so you have to wear it.
Warning, Graphic Picture below
The suction your eye open and it can break some of the vessels. It looks worse than it feels. Another very flattering picture of me.




11 comments:

gina said...

You are brave - to do it without valium. Oh my. It scares me so bad - But I hear such great things about it - so maybe someday. I will skydive without a second thought, got tattoo'd eyeliner (with valium) that flaked off within a month no big deal, but lasik is scary!!

Summers Family said...

you are so brave! i am way too afraid of it being screwed up and not being able to see my children grow up. i am jealous, i wish i didn't have to wear glasses, but i don't think i could do the surgery.

Mandy said...

I definitely want lasik someday. It's on "the list"!! :)

mama_pj said...

Congratulations! You will absolutely love the freedom from glasses and contacts and having perfect vision, even in the middle of the night. You are very brave-but I already knew that. Love you a ton.

The White House said...

Crongrats to you brave lady. Glad to hear everything went well for you.:)

MelissaConlee said...

I had no idea you're were planning on doing this! I'd love to chat with you about the whole experience because I've been thinking about having LASIK myself (once we have a job with health insurance, that is).

Nicki said...

Awesome pics! Those glasses are pretty sweet. How are you feeling now after it's all over? I really liked your nursery idea. My sister still has her 1 1/2 year old sleeping in her shower because she's not ready to have her share a room. Desperate times call for desperate measures:).

EBD said...

Apparently I agree with everyone else - I can't believe how brave you are - just the description is enough to convince me to avoid Lasik even with the Valium (but I have serious eye paranoias). But, the end result is wonderful, enjoy it all!

Andrea and Nate Tracey said...

Wow, I didn't know you were doing this!! Crazy woman!! I am glad it went well and I hope you just love your "new eyes"!!

Hilary Brock said...

Awesome glasses! I'm sure Caleb is already sporting them!

Emmy Bludorn said...

Isn't it awesome? I, too, was surprised by how freaked out I got but it was so worth it. It took me awhile to get used to being able to see the clock in the middle of the night without having to squint or put my glasses on.

 

These Are the Days | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates