Thursday, June 21, 2012

Oh Canada, Jour Deux

Keith headed out to his Conference again and I set out to explore some more of Montreal.  I got even more adventurous and took the Metro this time.  I made my way through the underground city and found the station to get on and even the correct station to get off.  From there it was about a mile walk to where I was headed, Maison St Gabriel a historic farm from the early 1800's.  I have a lovely guided tour of the Main home and Barn.  It was really neat to see how industrious and inventive those original settlers were.  The grounds were absolutely beautiful.  Afterward, I came back and took a nap so that we could  go out when Keith got back.  Luckily his conference got out at 3:30 so we had plenty of time in the evening to explore.  We walked to Old Montreal, where the first settlers established the city near the river.  Walking around there is like being transported to Europe, the streets are the original cobblestone and the buildings have been maintained from the originals.  We browsed the shops and then had dinner at Jardin Nelson.  It is this amazingly beautiful garden restaurant. We ate on the back patio and were surrounded by flowers and there was an awesome quartet playing.  It was the perfect Summer dinner and I couldn't have imagined a better place.  Then we walked along the river and saw the ports.  We also walked to the clock tower, but sadly it was closed for a special event.  We headed back to Maple delights where I got a double scoop of ice cream, made with maple sugar of course, it was so delicious.  We also picked up some goodies and maple cookies for the kids.  That night we went swimming.  The pool is so amazing.  It is surrounded by these 20 feet glass doors that slide open onto a balcony.  You can walk right out and you have this fabulous view of the city.

Maison St. Gabriel

The Garden

Old Montreal

Front of the Jardin Nelson Restaurant

Keith and I by the St Charles River
The Metro

3 comments:

keith said...

What a fun trip sweetheart. Being in new and interesting places is great but it is far better with someone you love. You made the trip for me!

Keith

Cheri said...

You are so good about making the most out of your trips and getting out and seeing all the sights and interesting places you can, even if you are on your own some of the time. Way to be adventurous!

Mandy said...

Good for you for seeing the sites while he was at work. Looks like a fun place!

 

These Are the Days | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates