A few months ago Keith told me that he had an opportunity to attend a Conference in Montreal and was wondering if I was interested in coming along. Hmmm, let me think about that, YES!!! We were so grateful that my fabulous parents were willing to watch the kids again so I could go with him. Our first step was to get our passports, I have to admit it was so exciting. Then of course, brush up of my Canadian vernacular, you know like being able to properly say Ehh and Bag (pronounced Bay-gh). I figured this was a good compromise since learning French in a month was not possible. Although all the signs are in French, luckily most people in Quebec, especially Montreal, speak wonderful English. I arrived Tuesday evening and Keith picked me up at the airport and then we went back to our hotel. An interesting fact about Montreal is that it is an island, it is completely surrounded by several huge rivers. We stayed in downtown Montreal where all the modern businesses, shops and such are. Montreal is so cold in the winter that they have an entire underground city downtown. The buildings are all connected to each other and there are shops and restaurants as well. We went out for dinner in the underground Mall and then had dessert. Right away I learned that Canada is expensive! For dessert we got one scoop of Gelato and the equivalent of a Peanut Buster Parfait and it was $16, yikes. The next day while Keith was at his conference I decided to go to the Museum of Fine Art. Traffic is pretty busy so I decided to walk the mile and a half there. They have a nice collection of art. I got to see works from Monet, Rembrandt, Picasso, Vandyck, El Greco and many other Masters. Then I did some shopping at H&M, a clothing store I have always wanted to go to. That evening Keith and I walked to This beautiful park, Mount Royal, in downtown. We had a nice picnic and then hiked to the top where you have an incredible view of the city. After that we walked around the park. By the time we got home I was so exhausted, I had taken 25,000 steps that day which is 10 miles!
| They take green living very seriously. Most people walk or bike. All over they have these bike rental stops where you can rent a bike and return it it any other spot in town. You just swipe your card and pay for how long you want to use it. |
3 comments:
You must have had a pedometer on you to know how many steps you took or just a really good memory.
I am so proud of you for striking out on your own to site see! Gives me courage to do the same when I travel with Mark.:)
OH yay, I'm glad you got to get a passport and go up north!
Post a Comment